Applications for the PhD in Economics are open each year, from October 1st to January 31st (for a start of the PhD in September following the round of application).
Candidates must hold a Master of Science (MSc) degree in a relevant discipline, deemed equivalent to the one delivered by the MSc in Economics of the University of Lausanne, Switzerland and with an official graduation date before August 15 of the year of application (no later date will be accepted).
The admission to our PhD program in Economics follows a two-step procedure: applicants must be admitted both by the Department of Economics (Step 1) and by the central admissions office of the University of Lausanne (Step 2)
Applications should first be submitted via our application platform to the Department of Economics. The application platform is open each year from October 1st, until January 31st (for a start of the PhD in September following the round of application) on: https://hecluster.unil.ch/meteor/canddoct_form
Please make sure to provide all the following documents combined in 1 pdf file:
- CV (in English)
- Statement of purpose (in English)
- Bachelor and Master transcripts of grades (translated if not in French or in English)
- GRE results (GRE general test) – compulsory (no exceptions can be granted)
- Research proposal (3-4 pages long, on a topic that interests you. The field can be broad and can evolve later on in agreement with the PhD supervisor). Please refer to these guidelines.
- At least one reference letter from a professor. Applicants must enter each referee’s institutional e-mail address on the online application form (private e-mail addresses like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo... will not be accepted for refrees). Each referee will then receive a message indicating how to upload their reference letter.
Only applicants who have received an acceptance offer from the Department of Economics will be invited to proceed with their University registration, in order to confirm their eligibility.