The primary objective is to understand and quantify the geodynamic processes responsible for mountain building. These include:
- The formation of tectonic nappes
- Coupling of rock deformation with fluid flow and metamorphic reactions
- The formation and exhumation of (U)HP rock
- Coupling of tectonic and surface processes
- The control of current and pre-orogenic structures on mountain building
The applied multi-disciplinary approach includes process-oriented detailed geological mapping, geophysical imaging and data analysis, mathematical modelling, high-performance scientific computing, and laboratory microanalysis.